Contact InfoFeedback | Sitemap 
Search
  Home | About Us | Services | E-services | Publications | Downloads | News & Events | Careers | Useful Links  

RSS Feed Print
can we consume alcoholic dishes? please answer!
New Bacteria
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2007 11:10 PM

I'm taking my diploma in culinary skills in Shatec. Most of the dishes i'm preparing are using either white wine, red wine and even brandy as it enhance the taste. I know wine(alcohol) are prohibited by Islam. But I have no choice. It's my passion to be a chef and i have to go through this. I have to go through wine tasting etc. So my question is, there's some that told me it is not wrong to eat wine-content-dishes as when the certain dish is cooked, the wine so-called "evaporate" and there will be no longer alcohol. Is that true? :S

Hafiz
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2007 11:25 AM

Alcohol is already haram so any food items that contain alcohol is not for consumption for muslims. 

Fadhil(Wak)
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 2:58 PM

A study by a team of researchers at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data Laboratory (Jorg Augustin, PhD, Evelyn Augustin, MS, Rena L. Cutruffelli, Steven Hagen, PhD, and Charlene Teitzel. Alcohol Retention in Food Preparation, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, April 1992, Volume 92, Number 4.) calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method and Percent of Alcohol Retained :

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat - 85% alcohol retained

alcohol flamed - 75% alcohol retained

no heat, stored overnight - 70% alcohol retained

baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture - 45% alcohol retained

baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

• 15 minutes 40% alcohol retained

• 30 minutes 35% alcohol retained

• 1 hour 25% alcohol retained

• 1.5 hours 20% alcohol retained

• 2 hours 10% alcohol retained

• 2.5 hours 5% alcohol retained.
Fadhil(Wak)
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:09 PM

So from the analysis above,Dr Yusuf Al-Qaradhawi said that " Islam kembali mengambil sikap tegas.Islam tidak memandang ukuran yang diminum,baik itu sedikit maupun banyak.Kerana yang sedikit itu saja sudah cukup untuk mengelincirkan kaki manusia dari jalan Islam ini.... Hadith : Sesuatu yang dapat memabukkan apabila diminum dengan jumlah banyak,maka diminum sedikit itu pun tetap haram (Ahmad,Abu Daud dan Tirmidzi) (Taken From 'Halal dan Haram dalam Islam' by Dr Yusuf Al-Qaradhawi page 94)  I think it is impossible that the alcohol is 'evaporated'  when cooked because the wine itself is made by the process of fermentation-'evaporated' Conclusion:Even a little alcohol is HARAM

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 4:13 PM
But so far that I know is that liquor is not najis mughallazah, so we can merely wash them as we wash normal najis. Allahua'alam..
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:53 AM

Recently, before the 1st day of Ramadan, i accidentally terminum Bacardi which contains about 0.4%. So, can i really fast???

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2007 5:48 PM

Hmm, drinking and fasting is two different things. Katanya kalau setitis arak kita minum 44 hari amalan tidak diterima. Itu amalan nya yang tidak diterima,tetapi puasa itu tetap diwajibkan keatas nya. Di umpama kan seperti kita bekerja tetapi tidak diberi gaji (as punishment). Dat's one thing,another thing is kalau kita tidak sengaja,takkan Tuhan tak tahu yg kita tidak sengaja The best is kita puasa je, samada diterima atau tidak,itu urusan Nya.

Wallahu 'Alam bis sawab..

surdia_dhum@hotmail.com

zul
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:40 PM

I remember hearing this question from one of my madrasah friends back in school, and the answer my ustazah gave us was that even in such cases, alcohol is not allowed to be consumed as it is already clearly stated that alcohol is something thats not allowed to be consumed by muslims.. Only in the case of darurat can it be consumed, but since this case is not considered such a case, then yea its not allowed.. hope it helps! :)
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 9:19 AM
Drinking khamr - even a single drop

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “. . . Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, al-ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols, etc.) and al-azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s handiwork. So avoid (strictly) all that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.” [al-Maa’idah 5:90]

The command to avoid these things is the strongest indication that they are forbidden. Khamr (“wine”, alcohol) is compared to al-ansaab, which were idols of the kuffaar; there is no excuse for those who argue that the Qur’aan does not say it is forbidden but only tells us to avoid it!

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also issued a stern warning to the one who drinks khamr. Jaabir reported that he said: “Allaah has promised the one who drinks khamr that He will make him drink the mud of khibaal.” The people asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, what is the mud of khibaal?” He said, “The sweat of the people of Hell, or the juice of the people of Hell.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1587). Ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever dies and has the habit of drinking khamr, he will meet Allaah as one who worships idols.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani, 12/45; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6525).

Nowadays there are very many kinds of khamr, with many names in Arabic and other languages, such as beer, ji’ah (beer), alcohol, araq (“arrack”), vodka, champagne, etc. There has appeared in this ummah the type of person described by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Some people of my ummah will drink khamr, calling it by another name.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad, 5/342; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5453). So they may call it “spirits” instead of khamr, as an attempt to distort the facts and deceive. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “They (think to) deceive Allaah and those who believe, while they only deceive themselves, and perceive (it) not!” [al-Baqarah 2:9]

Islam imposes strict controls on this matter, and deals with it decisively so that there is no room for misunderstanding. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Every intoxicant is khamr and every intoxicant is haraam.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1587). Everything that has the effect of clouding the mind is haraam, whether in large or small amounts. (The hadeeth, “Whatever causes intoxication in large amounts, a small amount of it is haraam,” was reported by Abu Dawud, no. 3681; see Saheeh Abi Dawud, no. 3128). No matter how many different names there are, they all refer to one thing, and the ruling concerning it is well-known.

Finally, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) issued a warning to those who drink khamr: “Whoever drinks khamr and becomes intoxicated, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will enter Hell, and if he repents Allaah will accept his repentance. If he drinks again and becomes intoxicated again, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will enter Hell, and if he repents Allaah will accept his repentance. If he drinks again and becomes intoxicated again, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days, and if he dies he will enter Hell, and if he repents Allaah will accept his repentance. If he drinks a fourth time, Allaah promises that He will make him drink from the mud of khibaal on the Day of Resurrection. The people asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, what is the mud of khibaal?” He said, “The juice of the people of Hell.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, no. 3377; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6313).
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 11:33 AM
New Bacteria wrote:

I'm taking my diploma in culinary skills in Shatec. Most of the dishes i'm preparing are using either white wine, red wine and even brandy as it enhance the taste. I know wine(alcohol) are prohibited by Islam. But I have no choice. It's my passion to be a chef and i have to go through this. I have to go through wine tasting etc. So my question is, there's some that told me it is not wrong to eat wine-content-dishes as when the certain dish is cooked, the wine so-called "evaporate" and there will be no longer alcohol. Is that true? :S

Please visit : www.winewithoutalcohol.com

this may be a solution to your problems...

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 11:34 AM

Please visit:    www.winewithoutalcohol.com

This maybe a solution to your problem....

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 11:39 AM

For your info, fresh fruit juices like orange juices, contains natural alcool... which can be up to 0.5%.

I have never heard Muslim not drinking orange juices because of natural alcohol contain …

Terence Nunis
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:18 AM
User Rank: greenBean

Assalamu'alaikum,

Khamr refers to intoxicants.  This includes all rcreational drugs, alcohol & some scholars include cigarettes.  It is very unlikely that you will get intoxicated my the naturally occuring ethanol in most fruit juices & many fermented foods.  Therefore, they are not included.

With regards to alcohol (ethanol) consumption, ethanol is considered khamr.  One of the priciples of Islamic law is that anything that is haram in large quantities, is also haram in small quantities.  This is a practical consideration.  Jus as Allah told Adam not to even go near the Tree of Knowledge, let alone eat of the fruit.  There is a hadith that states the ten categories of people who sin with regards to alcohol.  Not only the consumer, but also the producer & every one involved in getting it to the consumer.

Therefore, alcohol in food is forbidden.  A Muslim may not consume any food that has alcohol as an ingredient.  This is despite the fact that there is unlikely to be any alcohol in the dish by the time you eat it since alcohol evaporates at about 72 degree Celcius & we obviously cook at higher temperatures when we flambe meat or season the gravy.  The principal relates not merely to non-consumption but not even condoning the trade.

Please note that I refer to ethanol not methanol.  Methanol is ot considered khamr.  It is not an intoxicant.  It is a poison.  Anyone consuming that is an idiot.

Wassalam,
Terence Nunis