Muis Academy’s Past Islamic Discourse Events are listed here
- In 2015, MUIS hosted the Grand Mufti of Egypt, Sheikh Dr Shawki Allam
- In 2011, MUIS hosted the former Grand Mufti of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sheikh Dr Mustafa Ceric
- In 2009, MUIS hosted the former Grand Mufti of Syria, Sheikh Dr Ahmed Bader Eddin Hassoun
- In 2006, MUIS hosted the former Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar, Sheikh Dr Muhammad Syed Tantawi.
2 The Muis Lecture Series
The Muis Lecture Series is an annual series. It features eminent statesmen, intellectual leaders, thinkers of international standing and prominent personalities, who delivers an address relating to Islam and its relationship with the modern world and its current realities. The series also focuses on new trends in Muslim thoughts and ideas in dealing with change and modernity in the context of changing global challenges of the 21th Century.
- In 2014, Dr Ismail Serageldin delivered a talk entitled The Role of History in Islamic Education
- In 2011, Sheikh Dr Mustafa Ceric delivered the Muis Lecture on The Challenge of Diversity in Modern Society
- In 2010, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf delivered a talk entitled Forging a Common Humanity
- In 2009, Sheikh Dr Ahmed Bader Eddin Hassoun delivered the Muis Lecture, entitled Islam’s Enduring Values for Humanity
- In 2007, Archbishop Rowan Williams delivered a talk entitled, Religious Diversity and Social Unity
- In 2007, Karen Armstrong delivered a talk entitled The Role of Religion in the New Millennium
- In 2006, Sheikh Dr Muhammad Syed Tantawi delivered a lecture titled Islam and its Place in The Modern World
3 The Discourse Engagement Series
This series consists of individual events, which include public lectures, roundtable discussions and seminars. It features visiting scholars from diverse faith traditions, philosophical orientations and geographical backgrounds. The series represents an on-going conversation that aims to widen and deepen the local discourse on Islam. In addition, as a safe space for the exchange of ideas, these engagements serve to develop an appreciation of diverse perspectives.
- In Feb 2017, Professor Jasser Auda led an Asatizah Seminar entitled Maqasid Shar’iyyah: Critically Engaging the Higher Objectives of Islam in the Qur’ān
- In Feb 2017, Professor Jasser Auda led a Public Talk entitled Islam in Post-Secular Society: Meanings and Implications?
- In Dec 2016, Professor Gavin Flood & Dr Mohammad Hannan Hassan led a Public In-Conversation session on Is There a Public Role for Religion Today?
- In Nov 2016, A/P Maszlee Malik, ISEAS Visiting Fellow, delivered a roundtable discussion on Islamic Thought on the Common Good: Understanding Ibn Taymiyyah's Concept of Fitrah (Natural Disposition) in Legal Reasoning.
- In Oct 2016, Professor Madhawi al-Rasheed, MEI, NUS Visiting Professor, delivered a roundtable discussion entitledBetween Force and Choice: Sharī'ah in Saudi Arabia.
- In Aug 2016, Imam (Chaplain) Khalid Latif delivered a roundtable discussion entitled Faith-Based Civic Engagement and Leadership: An American Muslim Experience.
- In July 2016, Professor Ebrahim Moosa delivered a live Public Lecture entitled Morality and the Public Sphere: Harnessing Islamic Ethics for the Common Good.
- In April 2016, Professor Ebrahim Moosa led a roundtable discussion entitled Interpreting Islamic Traditions for the Common Good in the Public Sphere.
- In April 2016, Professor Douglas Pratt led a roundtable discussion entitled Religious Extremism, Islamophobia and Reactive Co-Radicalization: The circular problematic posed by ISIS.
- In April 2016, Dr Ahmed Salah Hashem presented a lunchtime sharing on Religion in Conflict Narratives.
- In February 2016, Dr Hisham A Hellyer conducted a roundtable discussion entitled Reclaiming Islam in the Public Space: Between Theology, Extremism and Muslim Opinion.
- In October 2015, Assistant Professor Imran Tajudeen led a roundtable discussion entitled Revisiting Old Waqf Mosques in Singapore: Architectural Traditions, Cultural Diversity, and Place Histories from present-day perspectives.
- In September 2015, Prof Lord Bhikhu Parekh led a roundtable discussion entitled Key considerations in Harnessing Diversity.
- In August 2015, Professor Mark Tessler conducted a roundtable discussion entitled Post-Arab Spring: Grassroots Engagement in Middle East.
- In July 2015, Dr Jasser Auda delivered a Masterclass entitled Islamic Ethics, Higher Objectives and Public Policies and a Public talk entitled Ethical Policy-Making: A Systems Approach.
- In May 2015, Sheikh Dr Yasir Qadhi led a roundtable discussion entitled Inheriting a Complex World.
- In April 2015, Rabbi Adam Stein led a roundtable discussion entitled Jewish Law and Modernity.
- In March 2015, Dr Shadi Saleem Faruqi led a roundtable discussion entitled The interplay between Shariah and Civil Law in a Pluralistic Society.
- In February 2015, Dr Ruven Firestone led a roundtable discussion entitled Jewish-Muslim relations: Past, Present and Future.
- In January 2015, Sheikh Dr Shawki Allam delivered the Asatizah Seminar entitled Religious Authority and the Shaping of a Harmonious Society in a Plural World.
- In November 2014, Dr Ayman Shabana held a Public Talk entitled Ethics in Islamic Law: The Scope of Ethical Reasoning in the Islamic Legal Tradition.
- In November 2014, Al-Habib ‘Umar Bin Muhammad Bin Salim Bin Hafiz, held a Masterclass entitled, The Scholars’ Methodology in dealing with difference in Islamic Creed.
- In November 2014, Dr Aldila Dato’ Isahak led a roundtable discussion entitled Extremisms in Muslim Feminism and The Balanced Scale.
- In August 2014, Grand Mufti Emeritus of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sheikh Dr Mustafa Ceric delivered a Seminar entitled Ethics and Diversity: Contributions of Islamic Religious Leadership to the Modern World.
- In July 2014, Dr Nurfadzilah Yahaya led a roundtable discussion entitled Animal Welfare and 'Halal' Slaughter in Colonial and Postcolonial Singapore.
- In July 2014, Dr Farid Alatas and Muis Academy hosted a delegation of postgraduate students from the University of Tehran. During the exchange, religious leadership and diversity management were discussed.
- In June 2014, Dr Saad Eddin Ibrahim led a roundtable discussion entitled Islam, Genocide and Authoritarianism.
- In December 2013, Dr Yusef Waghid delivered a Public Lecture entitled Education and the Cultivation of an Ethical Person.
- In November 2013, Dr Jasser Auda, delivered a Public Lecture entitled Shari'ah, Ethical Goals and the Modern Society.
- In September 2013, Dr Ebrahim Moosa, delivered a Public Lecture entitled Islamic Ethical Tradition and the Burden of Modernity.
- In August 2013, Muis Academy organised a Legal Forum for the Asatizah entitled Understanding Singapore Legal System.
- In July 2013, Ustaz Mohammad Hannan Hassan delivered a Public Lecture entitled The Concept of Higher Learning in Medieval Islam.
- In July 2013, Dr Maszlee Malik and Zoltan Pall delivered a MA-MEI Seminar entitled Salafism in Malaysian Politics and Beyond: Myth or Reality.