7 December 2018
1. Singapore businesses venturing overseas will get to enjoy wider and faster market access for their Halal products. This is made possible thanks to the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) 17065 certification, the latest accreditation received by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis). ISO 17065 is an international standard on conformity assessment for bodies certifying products, process and services.
2. Deputy Chief Executive of Muis, Dr Albakri Ahmad received the accreditation plaque from Chairman of the Singapore Accreditation Council (SAC), Mr Renny Yeo at the SAC Customer Day 2018 last month.
3. This new accreditation is an endorsement of Muis’ integrity and technical competence in Halal Product Certification. In general, Muis has seen a steady 10% annual increase in the number of applications for halal certification over the last five years. In 2017 alone, Muis certified close to 5,000 premises and 55,000 types of products made in Singapore. These products ranged from ready-to-eat meals to sauces. For export purposes, products certified halal by Muis are accepted by markets worldwide including Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Europe, South Africa and the United States. Singapore itself has retained its position as the top non-OIC halal-friendly destination under the Mastercard-Crescent Rating Global Muslim Travel Index – a US$220B market.
4. Director of Asset Policy and Industry Development of Muis, Ms Dewi Hartaty Suratty said: “Muis has successfully attained accreditation under ISO 17065, an internationally-known standards, for its Halal product certification. With this accreditation, we hope that Singapore businesses venturing overseas can have better competitive edge and greater market access for their Halal products. As for consumers, they can be assured that the Muis Halal certification process is carried out in a competent, impartial and reliable manner.”
5. From 15 October 2018, businesses can also apply for and manage their Muis Halal application and certification via the LicenseOne portal. Under the Administration of Muslim Law Act (AMLA), Muis is vested with the sole legal powers to issue Halal certificates in Singapore.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
Last updated on 25/7/2019