In Phase 2 Safe Transition, Muis will continue to provide certain essential services (Emergency Zakat Financial Assistance, Zakat, Fidyah and Kaffarah enquiries and payment, Appeal Board - Filing of notice, petition and record of appeal and payment) at its counters. For other services, kindly visit https://www.muis.gov.sg/Contact-Info
13 MARCH 2019
1. Minister for the Environment and Water Resources and Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, Mr Masagos Zulkifli has just completed his visit to Egypt and Jordan from 10 to 13 March 2019. Mr Masagos was accompanied by the Chief Executive of Muis, Mr Esa Masood and other senior officials.
2. While in Cairo, Mr Masagos met the Grand Mufti of Egypt, Dr Shawki ‘Allam, and the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Dr Ahmed Al-Tayyeb. Mr Masagos also engaged Singaporean students studying in Al-Azhar University.
3. In Jordan, Mr Masagos engaged Singaporean students studying in the University of Jordan (UJ) and Yarmouk University. He also witnessed the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Muis and UJ. The MOU seeks to initiate the cooperation between Muis and UJ in developing the Postgraduate Certificate in Islam in Contemporary Societies (PCICS). UJ will be developing one of the modules for the PCICS on the topic of contemporary issues in Islam.
4. The student engagements included discussions about the vision of asatizah of the future, how asatizah can contribute to the community and society, and how to develop a future-ready asatizah workforce. This is part of the consultation process for the Committee on Future Asatizah (COFA), which was announced by Minister Masagos during the recent Parliamentary Debates on the Committee of Supply (COS) on Friday, 8 March. COFA will be chaired by Senior Minister of State for Defence and Foreign Affairs, Dr Maliki Osman.
5. Mr Masagos and Muis were supported by Student Liaison Officers (SLOs) throughout the trips. These SLOs from the Muis’ Student Welfare Secretariat Office provide on-going support for almost 850 Singaporean students studying Islamic sciences in tertiary institutions in the Middle East and North Africa region, as well as in Southeast Asia.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA