Media Statement - The Passing of Mr SR Nathan
22 August 2016
- We are deeply saddened by the passing of a well-respected leader and the President of the people, S.R. Nathan. His demise is a great loss to nation.
- Mr Nathan was well-known among the Singaporean Muslim community as a Head of State who was close to the people. During his two terms as the president of Singapore, he graced numerous Muslims events, displaying his closeness and rapport with the community. These events include the Muis Tea Reception and Awards and the iconic Charity Briyani, an annual event organised by the mosques island-wide in support of President Challenge .
- His presence at the events affirmed his commitment and appreciation for the Muslim community and especially to the under privileged. When gracing the events, Mr Nathan always took the time to interact with the community and can be seen warmly engaging recipients and beneficiaries, a reflection of his unwavering belief for an inclusive and a compassionate society.
- Mr Nathan also showed his upmost support for the Indian Muslim community here through its various initiatives, including opening the Nargore Dargah Indian Muslim Heritage Centre in 2011.
- The community remembers him as a People’s President who tirelessly supported the various efforts in uplifting the community.
- Muis would like to express our deepest condolences to Mrs Nathan and members of his family.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
Media Statement - The Passing of Mr S.R. Nathan (PDF, 152KB)
Last updated on 26/6/2019