28 January 2021
1. On 24 April 2019, the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) served a Closure Order on Mr Osman bin Sarkam, the current proprietor of FR Quran Centre (FRQC) which is located at No. 37 Onan Road, Singapore 424487. The founder of FRQC is Mr Fahrorazi bin Sohoi (“Mr Fahrorazi”).
2. The Closure Order was served for operating an unregistered Muslim religious school and deploying Mr Fahrorazi to teach at FRQC when he was not registered under the Asatizah Recognition Scheme (ARS). Muis has made a Police report, and the Police are investigating the matter.
3. Under Rule 5 of the Administration of Muslim Law (Muslim Religious Schools) Rules 2016 (Rules), a person must not conduct a Muslim religious school unless it is registered by Muis, and it is an offence to fail to comply with this requirement.
4. The Muslim community should only seek religious instruction and guidance from teachers registered under the ARS, and from Muslim religious schools registered under the AMLA. The list of registered schools and teachers is available at < https://licence1.business.gov.sg/web/frontier/ars-directory-search > and < https://licence1.business.gov.sg/web/frontier/iecp-directory-search>
5. The ARS was made mandatory in January 2017 to maintain the high standards expected of Islamic teachers in the Islamic education sector, and to ensure that the Muslim community receives religious instruction and guidance, appropriate to the needs and context of Singapore.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA