29 December 2020
1. There have been recent media reports in Malaysia regarding an alleged meat cartel syndicate based in Malaysia that smuggles, repacks and relabels non-halal frozen meat items as 'halal-certified' for sale in Malaysia.
2. Muis notes that the Malaysian authorities have issued statements that they are investigating the matter, and urging the public not to speculate on the outcome of the investigation or spread rumours. Muis also notes that there have been messages circulating on social media expressing concern that this frozen meat from Malaysia could have also been imported into Singapore, or that the alleged improprieties in the importation and packaging of halal meat could have also been taking place in Singapore.
3. Muis and the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) are currently looking into the allegations raised to determine if the alleged improprieties affect the Singapore market. Muis is also writing to the relevant authority in Malaysia to request for more information. We would like to remind the public to always verify information from credible sources and not to spread rumours.
4. Only meat and meat products from SFA accredited overseas establishments can be imported into Singapore. Imported meat and meat products are also subjected to SFA's food safety surveillance programme to ensure that they meet SFA's import requirements and regulatory standards.
5. In addition, meat which is imported for the Muslim market and Muis' certificate holders must meet halal requirements. Muis has a sound process to ensure imported meat that is certified by foreign certifying bodies meets our specified requirements. Muis assures the public that the halal-certified meat products which are legally imported into Singapore may be consumed with confidence. Muis notes that the relevant authorities in Malaysia are also providing assurance to its local consumers about its halal certified meat products. Consumers are advised to exercise caution when purchasing meat products overseas.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
SINGAPORE FOOD AGENCY