4 January 2021
1. The International Baccalaureate Organisation released the results of the 2020 International Baccalaureate Diploma Programmes examinations on 2 Jan 2021. 25 students from Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah who sat for the exams in May and November 20201, received their results. They are the first batch of students who took the IBDP in Madrasah Aljunied, which is conferred the IB World School status in the world.
2. All students passed the exams and were conferred a Bilingual Diploma2. The highest score achieved was 42 points (out of a total of 45 points). The average score attained by the school is 34.8 points. This is higher than the average global scores and on par with regional scores which were 29.81 and 34.83 respectively.
3. Muis together with Madrasah Aljunied introduced the new Islamic Studies curriculum in 2015 for the first batch of Joint Madrasah Scheme (JMS) secondary level students at Madrasah Aljunied. It included the integration of 18 individual subjects into seven Islamic studies subjects3. Additional O level subjects as well as new elective programmes were also introduced. These changes in the curriculum were to better equip students with the necessary skills, knowledge and values for their journey towards being future religious leaders and scholars.
4. To strengthen the Pre-University level programme offered at Madrasah Aljunied, the new Islamic Studies curriculum was infused with the learning of contemporary and emerging issues affecting the Muslim community locally in Singapore, regionally and globally. This aimed to equip students with critical thinking and problem-solving skills and to apply their knowledge to real-world issues and problems. In addition to enhancing the teaching and learning of the Islamic Studies subjects, the IBDP was also introduced at the Pre-University level to provide a more holistic learning experience for the students.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
5. The IBDP was adopted as it provides students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to be active and effective learners in the 21st century. The learning experience, training, exposure, research and investigation rigour as well as community service activities and engagements not only prepare students for university life but also the necessary thinking skills and perspectives which are critical for future religious scholars and leaders. The IBDP thus complements the school based IS curriculum, as it provides students with the opportunity to explore religious topics and issues from a wider lens and perspective4.
6. The IBDP qualification, in addition to the Aliyah Diploma conferred by Madrasah Aljunied, would increase students’ opportunities to continue their education at both traditional Islamic universities as well as other tertiary institutions that accept the IB Diploma as an entrance criteria. This is particularly for programmes related to the social sciences and others that would complement the Islamic studies learning that they have received from the madrasah, in line with the recommendations made in the COFA report.
7. Madrasah Aljunied became an IB candidate school in September 2016 and was authorized to be an IB World School in October 2018 with its first batch commencing in January 2019. A total of 12 teachers were selected and trained to teach the IBDP. The subjects that will be offered to students include Malay Language A, Arabic Language B, English Language B, Global Politics, Environmental Systems and Societies, Chemistry, Maths Studies and Mathematics in addition to the three IB core components5. These subjects were selected as they complemented the Islamic Studies subjects. Additionally, two IB trained teachers were also deployed to further strengthen the implementation of the programme at the Madrasah.
RESULTS OF FIRST IBDP BATCH AT MADRASAH ALJUNIED
8. Madrasah Aljunied released the results to the students at the school at 2 pm today. Parents were invited to join the students online via Zoom.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
1 2 papers were taken during May exam period: Arabic Language B and Malay Language A, while the remaining 7 papers were taken in November.
2 A Bilingual Diploma is awarded to candidates who complete and receive a grade 3 or higher in two languages selected from the DP course studies in language and literature.
3 Fiqh Studies, Aqidah Studies, Hadith Sciences, Quranic Sciences, Arabic Language, Islam & Society and Islamic History.
4 For example, the subject Theory of Knowledge (TOK) requires students to inquire and conduct purposeful study into different ways of knowing which includes faith, reason and emotion, etc, and different kinds of knowledge such as religious knowledge, ethics and human sciences, amongst many others. Such learning experiences would further strengthen their understanding, deepen their insights and provide a religious perspective into the issues investigated.
5 Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Extended Essay (EE) and Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS).