21 June 2021
1. Muis has been made aware of reports regarding the management of Wakaf Haji Pitchay Meerah Hussain.
2. Under the Administration of Muslim Law Act, Muis is tasked with the administration of all wakaf in Singapore to ensure that wakaf properties remain viable and maximise returns for the intended beneficiaries. Muis does this under the advice of the Fatwa Committee.
3. In Oct 1985 the Fatwa Committee gave guidance on the permissibility of wakaf redevelopment as well as asset migration, known as istibdal wakaf as practiced in other Muslim countries, as a strategy to do so to achieve these objectives. As a result, the value of a number of these wakaf has been enhanced, including the Wakaf Bencoolen development, the Red House, Alias Villas as well as 11 Beach Road. Muis has also been able to substantially increase disbursements to beneficiaries. Muis publicises these returns through our Annual Wakaf Disbursement Ceremony as well as our Annual Report, which is published on our website.
4. Wakaf Haji Pitchay Meerah Hussain comprised of a property at No 5 Lorong 9 Geylang that the wakif (bequeather) had intended to be used as a madrasah (Islamic school). Because the original property had been in a dilapidated state and was not generating any income to fulfil the Wakaf’s original intent, in 2002, Muis migrated the Wakaf to 11 Beach Road, a 999-year leasehold commercial property. Muis assessed that this would be the best and closest alternative to fulfilling the wishes of the wakif, given that the original property could no longer be used as a madrasah. Muis was of the view that if left in its original condition and location, the wakif’s intent for making the Wakaf could not be achieved.
5. Since the migration, Muis has been able to disburse the yield from the wakaf to full time madrasah, in line with the original intention of the wakif. Over the past seven years, the Wakaf has disbursed more than $200,000 in total to Madrasah Al-Maarif, Madrasah Alsagoff and Madrasah Wak Tanjong.
6. Muis is reaching out to the surviving members of the wakif’s family to reassure them that the wakif’s wishes are being respected and that the broader intention behind the creation of the Wakaf continues to be fulfilled.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA