Resumption of Haj Pilgrimage for International Pilgrims
26 April 2022
1. The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) has announced that Haj 2022 (1443H) will be opened to one million pilgrims, consisting of 850,000 international pilgrims. Each country is accorded approximately 45 per cent of their previous official pre-pandemic quota. Singapore has been granted a Haj quota of 407 places, which is approximately 45 per cent of the previous official quota of 900.
Haj 2022 Conditions & Requirements
2. The Ministry has also announced that this year’s haj will be allocated for pilgrims aged below 65 years old, who must be COVID-19 vaccinated with KSA-approved vaccine and must submit a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test within 72 hours from the time of departure to KSA.
Allocation of Haj Quota
3. Given the deferment of Haj 2020 and 2021 for Singaporean pilgrims, Muis will re-allocate the limited Haj quota to pilgrims who were supposed to perform their haj in year 2020 and now meet the conditions and requirements for Haj 2022.
4. All other pilgrims who are in the Advance Haj Registration System will be automatically moved in the queue to perform Haj in subsequent years. All pilgrims’ eligibility to perform every year is subject to conditions and requirements mandated by the relevant Saudi authorities.
5. In anticipation of Haj 2022, Muis has also reached out to those pilgrims who were affected by the deferment of Haj 2020 and 2021. Muis had earlier in February 2022 enquired on their interest to perform this year’s haj, vaccination status and updated contact details (mobile number and email address). This is part of Muis’ efforts to get prospective pilgrims to prepare early, remain flexible and be spiritually, physically, mentally, and financially ready to perform their haj. Those who have yet to reply to Muis are requested to do so by 29 April 2022, failing which they will be automatically moved in the queue for subsequent years.
Confirmation of Haj 2022 Pilgrims
6. Muis is now concurrently appointing approved travel agents for Haj 2022 and finalising the approved Haj packages available for pilgrims. Muis will be announcing the list of approved haj travel agents and haj packages prices on 4 May 2022.
7. Muis is also confirming the final list of pilgrims who are able to meet the conditions and requirements for Haj 2022 and will be issuing Formal Letters of Offer to perform Haj 2022 on 5 May 2022. Eligible pilgrims will be notified via SMS informing them to check their email for details on the collection of their Letter of Offer from Muis.
Purchase of Haj Packages and Insurance Coverage
8. Upon accepting the formal offer from Muis, pilgrims are required to purchase haj packages with their preferred approved travel agent within 3 calendar days.
9. Given the requirement of a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test within 72 hours from the time of departure to KSA, pilgrims are strongly encouraged to purchase travel insurance that cover their medical expenses in KSA, trip cancellation and trip curtailment, should they fail their PCR test and cannot travel to KSA.
10. As of date, there have been no indications of the cost of approved Haj packages this year, which are dependent upon costs in KSA. We are still awaiting confirmation from the Saudi authorities, although there are indications that there will be an increase in costs compared to pre-pandemic times.
Pilgrims' Early Preparation
11. Allocated pilgrims are strongly advised to prepare the following travel documents before purchasing their Haj packages:
12. Muis hopes that the resumption of haj for international pilgrims, including Singaporean pilgrims will be the most spiritual period of their lives, filled with blessings and forgiveness from Allah SWT.
13. On behalf of the Singapore Muslim community, Muis would like to express our deepest appreciation to KSA for its efforts to resume haj for international pilgrims and commend KSA for its strong commitment to enhance the welfare and safety of pilgrims while performing the fifth pillar of Islam.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA