Reinvigorate Salam and Radiate Blessings with Korban Meat
14 May 2022
1. A total of 54 mosques in Singapore will offer their services to facilitate Korban 1443H/2022 for Muslims who wish to perform the annual ritual during Hari Raya Aidiladha. For the third year running, no livestock will be imported into Singapore. However, the SalamSG Korban – a committee under the SalamSG Movement (SSGM)1 – will be working closely with local mosques to arrange for the ritual to be performed in Australia and the meat flown to Singapore to be chilled and distributed to sohibul korban2.
A More Convenient Way to Book and Pay for Korban 1443H/2022
2. To better facilitate booking and payment for Korban this year, the SalamSG Korban team will introduce a one-stop registration portal (www.ourmasjid.sg/korban) for prospective sohibul korban to book and pay for their Korban from any of the participating mosques. A visual flow of the transaction can be seen in Annex A.
3. At the portal, sohibul korban can select the mosque which they intend to book and purchase their Korban from, view its pricing – ranges from $350 to $370 – determine the portion which they intend to collect (either 1/3, 2/3 or full portion)3, and see the remaining Korban availability at each participating mosque4. Sohibul korban may also walk-in to participating mosques to make their booking and payment via physical counters. The list of participating mosques can be found in Annex B.
4. Booking and purchase of Korban meat will begin on Sunday, 15 May 2022, and will close on Friday, 1 July 2022, subject to availability on a first-come first-served basis. Payment can be made online via PayNow, Debit Card or Credit Card. An e-receipt will then be sent to the individual’s email for confirmation. Cash payments can only be made via physical counters at participating mosques.
5. Distribution for the Korban meat will begin on Thursday, 14 July and end on Sunday, 7 August 2022. Sohibul korban will be informed of their Korban meat delivery by the mosques which they made their booking from. They may also contact the mosques directly to enquire on their purchase.
Spreading the Spirit of Gratitude and Generosity through Giving
6. As part of the SSGM’s theme of “Reinvigorate Salam. Radiate Blessings.” (Suburkan Salam. Sebarkan Rahmah.), Korban this year aims to manifest the spirit of gratitude projected by the community during the past Ramadan to Zulhijjah. Key to this, is the distribution of Korban meat to the less privileged in the community, such as those affected economically by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the rising costs of living. In tying with the SSGM’s theme, this act also illustrates the joy of gifting and spreading hope and happiness to all families and individuals, including the underserved.
7. As such, the beneficiaries of Korban meat this year will go beyond Zakat beneficiaries such as the poor and needy and will include families of inmates as well as transient workers. As per last year, mosques will mobilise their befrienders and volunteers to distribute Korban meat following prevailing safe management guidelines.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
1The SSGM is a new initiative put together by Muis and the mosques to rejuvenate our mosque programmes and rally our Muslim community to enliven their religious life, both in the physical and virtual Faith Spaces. This year, the Movement will be piloted from Ramadan 1443 until the religious ritual of Korban in Zulhijjah. SSGM was launched at Masjid Mujahidin on 2 April 2022 by Minister, Prime Minister’s Office and Second Minister for Education and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman.
2Sohibul korban refers to Muslims who opted to perform the korban ritual.
3This refers the portion of Korban meat which the sohibul korban intends to collect. Uncollected meat will be pooled and distributed to beneficiaries.
4Mosques and appointed vendors participating in this year's modified Korban, must comply with the food safety requirements of SFA for the importation, storage and distribution of meat products. Standard operating procedures will be adopted, observing high hygiene standards, staggering distribution and collection slots, strictly following prevailing national safety measures and guidelines.
Annex A - Flow of Booking and Payment for Korban 1443H/2022
Annex B - List of Mosques offering Korban 1443H/2022