13 January 2023
Consecration Ceremony (Perwakafan)
1. An iconic landmark that seats along Joo Chiat Road, Masjid Khalid, has reopened its doors for Friday prayer on 13 January 2023. The upgraded Masjid Khalid welcomed a full capacity crowd earlier today after its closure in 2019 for refurbishment works.
2. Mufti of Singapore Dr Nazirudin Mohd Nasir officiated the consecration (perwakafan) ceremony to mark the start of prayer and religious activities in the newly revamped mosque. The auspicious consecration ceremony was followed by the delivery of Friday sermon and prayer led by the Mufti.
3. New and spacious facilities were part of the infrastructure in place. Six flexible classrooms to house various programmes and activities, a function room, and a newly constructed elevator are among the latest features after the $7.5 million upgrading works. Following the upgrading works, the historic mosque can now accommodate 750 more prayer spaces, adding to the previous 1,000 spaces.
4. In his speech to welcome congregants to the revamped mosque, Chairman of Masjid Khalid, Mr Haji Alla’udin Mohamed said worshippers can look forward to fresh programmes and added services which the mosque will cater for. He further held up the local Muslim community for contributing donations to make the upgrading of the mosque a success.
5. The 105-year-old mosque has been a centre for religious and social activity for shoppers and workers who often frequent the Geylang Serai area. The upgrading project was launched by President Halimah Yacob in July 2019 in conjunction with President’s Challenge Charity Briyani – an annual fundraising event by the mosque.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA