3 January 2024
1. The International Baccalaureate Organisation released the results of the 2023 International Baccalaureate Diploma Programmes (IBDP) examinations on 2 Jan 2024. All 23 students from the Azhar-IB track at Madrasah Aljunied Al-Islamiah passed their IBDP examinations and have been conferred a Bilingual Diploma1 in the International Baccalaureate Programme. The average points attained by the Madrasah is 33.7 points out of 45.
2. Apart from the IBDP qualification, students in the Azhar-IB track will also be conferred with the Aliyah Diploma upon completion of their Aliyah exams later this year. These qualifications are part of Muis’ efforts to enhance madrasah education and increase students’ opportunities to continue their Islamic Studies journey at both traditional Islamic universities and other tertiary institutions that accept IB Diploma as an entrance criteria.
IBDP AT MADRASAH ALJUNIED
3. The IBDP was adopted to complement and support the Islamic Studies programme at the Aliyah level in Madrasah Aljunied as it provides students with the knowledge and skills to be active and effective learners in the 21st century.
4. The learning experience, training, exposure, research, investigation rigour as well as community service activities and engagements not only prepare students for university life but also equip them with the necessary thinking skills and perspectives which are critical for the development of future religious scholars and leaders in Singapore. Such skills are critical for our future Asatizah as they will need to address new, emerging and increasingly more complex socio-religious issues in the future.
5. Madrasah Aljunied became an IB candidate school in September 2016 and was authorized to be an IB World School and conduct the IBDP in October 2018. The subjects that have been offered to students include Malay Language A, Arabic Language B, English Language B, Global Politics, Environmental Systems and Societies, Chemistry, Maths Studies and Mathematics in addition to the three IB core components2. These subjects were selected as they complemented the Islamic Studies subjects.
MAJLIS UGAMA ISLAM SINGAPURA
1 A Bilingual Diploma is awarded to candidates who fullfil one or more of the following criteria:
2 Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Extended Essay (EE) and Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS)